EST. 2006

Go GaRy!!!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

3.22.2010

Ode to "Sally"

So as you can imagine Athens can be an absolute nightmare when it comes to navigating and getting to the simple places that you need to go. I have been able to basically learn which freeways go where, how to get to the mall, the gym, and the store among basic other essencials. If we want to go anywhere else; which of course we do, we live in Greece for crying out loud, there is SOO much to see! Needless to say, things can get a little tricky when it comes to getting around.

Here is where "Sally" comes in, thank heavens we decided to order her off Amazon just in time for my parents to bring her. Here she is, isn't she a beauty...the Garmin nuvi 1350(T), and we got a great price! Before this blessing of technology came into our lives we either spent hours getting lost, missed out and stayed home, or had to follow Spencer & Julie (oh don't forget cute Hannah) with thier GPS EVERYWHERE just to get around. Bless their wonderful Nelson souls, ever so patient and willing to take us anywhere we needed to go!



So why the name Sally do you ask...well she just sort of seems like a "Sally", a silver sally. It fits & since the 1st Sally died (the Nelson's GPS that got STOLLEN...sad day! Don't worry they were able to replace it) I thought that the name should carry on. Besides she is one of the handful of people that I get to talk to everyday haha, she needed a name. It's also nice for when I yell at her...

"Shut up Sally, I know I missed the turn cause the streets here are tiny & freakin close together so it's hard to tell where to turn in the first place. If you say re-calculating one more time I will throw you out the window! Can't you see Sally, I've got five scooters weaving past me and one of them hit the side mirror again, some idiot thinks it's ok to park in the middle of the intersection just because he put his flashers on and I just need you to be quiet for a sec so I can swerve around him while running a red light (cause everybodies doin' it) before I get us all killed...OK Sally...I'll show you re-calculating!"

As you can see, Sally and I have a love-hate relationship. Most of the time she is very reliable and gets me where I need to go, some of her routes are very impressive-taking us on crazy dirt roads that actually get us where we need to be. Like this one


But sometimes she really is stupid. It's not always her fault, from the map below you can see that the streets here are like a giant spider web and they change the direction of the many one way streets all the time, it can be very confusing...gotta love the organization of the Greek road ways or lack thereof.


This is the view on the gps map near our house a "rural" area, the only reason there are those white spots in the corner is because they are mountains

I've learned I just gotta trust Sally, she knows what she is doing. But other times you just gotta use common sense no matter what Sally tells you to do, unlike Michael in this clip from the office.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yyKrS8jwSY
I can't get it to load, but you GOTTA see it!

I can say that even though the gps has sent us on many wild goose chases, Sally has already paid for herself! The peace of mind I have when going on my daily excursions to the unkown and being able to just hit the "go home button" is priceless. We will be able to use it wherever our next job takes us & it sure would have been nice to have this past year when we did over 50 firesides & got lost all the time or when we lived in Vegas for two months. But we will have her from now on unless something unfortunate happens to her like me actually throwing her out of the window one day out of frustration. All in all thanks "Sally", your a real life saver...and thanks Jules for always helping me get the right location typed in when I am being a nuckle head.


Here's to you Sally...above are just a few places she has guided us to